Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Two Weeks in the Making

So I'm a little behind with this post but better late then never right? I've dipped cherries in chocolate before but never have I made REAL chocolate covered cherries (like the Cordial ones)...until now! I made these for Christmas and gave them as gifts! They actually are easier then I thought to make, the only downfall is your suppose to let them set for 1 to 2 weeks before eating to ensure the center sugar dough turns to that yummy sugary liquid. It's kind of like torture having them taunt you for 2 weeks. But I ended up putting mine away in the pantry so they were out of sight out of mind ;) Of course I had to taste test one shortly after I made it before the center liquefied and even though they are still good, they are not the same and so much worth the wait!



Chocolate Covered Cherries

  • 3 10-oz jars maraschino cherries with stems
  • 3 Tbsp butter softened
  • 3 Tbsp light colored corn syrup
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 pound chocolate melting candy, cut up in pieces

Directions:

Let cherries stand on paper towels for 2 hours to drain thoroughly. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.

sugar dough ball


In a medium bowl combine butter and corn syrup; stir in powdered sugar. Knead mixture until smooth, chill if too soft to handle. Wrap about 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar mixture around each cherry. Place wrapped cherries, stem sides up on the prepared baking sheets. Chill for 1 to 4 hours or until firm.



In a heavy saucepan melt chocolate candy over low heat (I melted mine in a double broiler), stirring constantly until smooth. Line another baking sheet with waxed paper. Holding wrapped cherries by stems, dip one at a time into melted chocolate. If necessary, spoon chocolate over cherries to cover. Be sure to completely seal cherries in chocolate to prevent juice from leaking. Let excess chocolate drip off. Place chocolate covered cherries, stem side up, on the prepared baking sheet. let cherries stand until coating is set. To allow the powdered sugar mixture around the cherries to liquefy, store in a tightly covered container, in a cool, dry place for 1-2 weeks before serving.

The recipes says it makes 60 but I actually got 80 out of the batch! And after I gave the majority of them away I was sad I didn't keep more for myself because they are very comparable to the ones you buy at the store.

They taste just like the real thing! SUCCESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment