Monday, December 6, 2010

Fit for a Princess

Cake #2 Complete!

Last Thursday I was asked by another one of my co-workers if I might be able to make her daughter a birthday cake for Saturday. She of course wanted a princess cake just like her sister had for her birthday last month (I did not get to make that one). I of course would be more than happy to make, even with the kind of late notice since I would have to actually make the cake that night in order to decorate it Friday night and have it ready Saturday! Since I'm just starting out making cakes I want to allow my self plenty of time as it's a learning process for me....trial by error.

When thinking of what to do for this Princess Cake I looked around on the Internet and thought making a 2-tiered cake with a tiara on it would be so cute! The birthday girl's favorite colors are pink and purple which of course make a perfect princess theme. I thought this would finally be my opportunity to use fondant!! YEAH! I made the infamous Marshmallow Fondant which I will blog about tomorrow as that is a whole other story to tell!! However the end product came out great. I tinted some in pink, purple and green as an accent. For this cake I decide not to do the entire cake in fondant but used tinted buttercream frosting with fondant accents of ribbons, polka dots and flowers.

Princess Ella's 5th Birthday Cake

The front:
Tier-1 is three 9 inch layers of Butter Cake and Tier-2 is two 6inch layers of chocolate both with buttercream frosting.

The back



2 comments: