Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thumbprint Cookies

I love trying my hand at making new recipes, I have too many to count that I want to try just not enough people to try them out on! This was my first attempt at making thumbprint cookies, this recipe is a chocolate topped thumbprint cookie also known as Brown-Eyed Susans. These were easy and fairly fast. There light, flaky and buttery and I rolled mine in sprinkles....sprinkles make everything better!!



Brown-Eyed Susans
Source: Allrecipes.com


  • 1 cup butter

  • 1/4 cup white sugar

  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1 cup powdered sugar

  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa

  • 1 Tbsp hot water (I used 3 to thin the frosting out)

  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:


  1. Preheat over to 375 degrees

  2. Cream butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in almond extract, add flour and salt; mix well.

  3. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Dough will be flaky but will come together and form balls when rolled by hand. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Roll in sprinkles of desired. Flatten middle of dough balls with thumb print. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Let cool.

  4. For frosting: Combine powdered sugar and cocoa. Add water and vanilla and mix well. Place chocolate frosting into thumb print indention of cooled cookies.

2 comments:

  1. Did you roll them in sprinkles before or after baking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before, otherwise the sprinkles don't stick and just fall right off. I just rolled the side of them and then flattened with my thumbprint.

    ReplyDelete