Friday, December 31, 2010

THE Jucy Lucy!

Last post of the year and I promise not to disappoint!.

The Jucy Lucy (or Juicy Lucy) is a cheeseburger with the cheese inside the meat so that the cheese in the middle melts to a molted core when cooked (doesn't that sound so delicious!!). It originated from South Minneapolis in the 1950's, however there are two bars on the same street that claim to be the inventor of this delicious masterpiece. Depending on who you ask it's either Matt's bar or the 5-8 Club, they differ on how they spell it too.


I first saw this burger on a show called Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel over a year ago. It caught my attention because 1. it's a burger inside out, 2. it originated in Minneapolis (not too far of a road trip!), and 3. lucky enough my brother just so happens to live just outside Minneapolis. I had the luxury of having my first Jucy Lucy this past Spring when visiting my brother and his family, we didn't go to either one of the co-called inventors of this burger but one of the many restaurants that now serve them. Let me tell you it was AWESOME! So moist, tender, juicy and oozing with cheese!!


A few weeks ago my dad dropped off a few Midwest Living magazine (don't ask me why he has them!) but he thought I might like looking through them for a bit, so I did. And low and behold one issue had this little masterpiece of a recipe, I've been so excited to make ever since! You MUST try it!

Juicy Lucy Burger - Makes 6 burgers ( I got 7!)

  • 1 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup milk or beef broth
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp kosher salt or 1/2 tsp regular salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
  • 12 - 3/4 to 1 oz slices American, Swiss or Colby cheese, cut into quarters
  • 6 large hamburger buns
  • Assorted condiments; ketchup, pickles, tomatoes, etc

Directions

In a large bowl, combine soft bread crumbs and milk. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg, dry bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef. Combine very lightly with fork (I found it easier to just use my hands). Shape meat mixture into twelve 1/2-inch thick patties, about 3 1/2 inches wide. I put my patties in between wax paper to get the right size and thickness without handling too much.





On each of 6 of the patties, arrange and slightly overlap 8 cheese quarters to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Top each with the remaining 6 patties. Pinch edges of top and bottom patties together to form a large patty, sealing holes. You will have a lump in patty where cheese lies inside. Chill patties, covered in refrigerator for at least one hour.

For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place patties on grill rack; cover and grill for 14 minutes. Turn patties with a wide spatula and grill 10 to 12 more minutes to until meat is done ( an instant-read thermometer inserted into patties should register 160 degrees).

During the last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling open the buns and place cut sides down on the grill to lightly toast. Remove burgers and buns. Let burgers stand for 2-3 minutes before eating, the cheese inside is extremely hot! Serve on buns with assorted condiments.

** Note: Ingredients need to be evenly distributes, but it's important to handle ground meat mixture as little as possible for a more tender, moist burger.



Grilling Tip: This burgers' cheesy center turns extra juicy as it heats and melts. Help that center stay inside , don't press on the patties as the cook on the grill. A little bit of cheese may leak out anyways.



Oooey gooey goodness!


The Molten Cheese Center!

I uses a combination of Cheddar, Provolone and Pepper jack Cheeses.

1 comment:

  1. yummmmmm! I love juicy lucys! In fact, I just had one last week at the 5-8 Club, though I do have to admit that Matt's Bar is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete