Sunday, December 26, 2010

Turtle Mania

I love making homemade treats especially during the Holiday season. Last year I didn't have a recipe for making my own turtles so I just winged it and they turned out great! This year I made them again but came across a recipe for them in one of the cookbooks I have from my mom's hometown. I have included both recipes, the recipe from the cookbook is Option A and the one I made up is Option B.

Option A:

Ingredients

  • 1 lb caramels
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 3/4 lb pecans
  • 1 (16 oz) pkg chocolate chips

Unwrap all those caramels from the wrappers. Melt caramels in water. I melted mine over the stove, you could also use the microwave.

Arrange pecans in 36 groups of 4 about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.

Put 1 teaspoon caramel mixture on each group of caramels.

Melt chocolate in microwave or in double broiler on stove. Place 1 teaspoon melted chocolate on each turtle.

And you have turtles!


Option B: My Own Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 bag caramels
  • 1 bag pecans
  • 1 pkg Chocolate Almond Bark Preheat oven to about 300 degrees. Unwrap caramels, place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until caramels are just melted but not bubbly. Be careful not to melt too much or they will expand too much and be too thin.


    Take out of oven and place 4 pecans in each caramel piece while hot. Cool until caramels have firmed up.

    Melt 3-4 squares of chocolate almond bark in microwave for 30 second intervals until almost all the melted then keep stirring chocolate until fully melted and smooth. Either dip tops of caramels/pecans in the chocolate or spoon chocolate over each piece; let cool and harden.

**I prefer Option B as I think by adding the water to the caramel makes them a little more sticky and harder to handle but both ways are delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment