Monday, October 11, 2010

For The Dogs

Yesterday was our dog Maddux's 4th birthday. Yes we celebrate our dogs birthday's, hey we don't have any kids yet so we are still obsessed with our furbabies! So in honor of his birthday I decided to try my hand at making a doggie birthday cake or what I like to call a "pupcake"! I'm not a fan of feeding my dogs chocolate like treats (carob powder is the chocolate like substitute used), as I don't want them to mistake real chocolate for dog treats, so I looked around on-line for awhile until I found exactly what a wanted, peanut butter!

See doesn't it look good enough to eat!?! With the ingredients used below, it smelled good mixing together.


I decorated the cake with low-fat yogurt for the frosting. I reserved a small amount and used a couple drops of food coloring to make a light orange color (I thought I'd play off the carrots in the cake). I later added a few sprinkles right before serving. There are sugar-free sprinkles you can use if you can find them but I read that using regular ones are fine as well, plus I didn't use very much.

Peanut Butter Delight

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 egg

Mix flour and baking soda. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 8" round cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool. Puree cottage cheese in blender for icing. Decorate with more peanut butter and carrots.


This was my first attempt at making anything home made for my dogs and it turned out pretty well. As you can see from the above picture they loved it! I might have to try making dog treats and biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment