Friday, November 18, 2011

Mozzerella and Tomato Focaccia

I love homemade bread but unfortunately I don't make it very often, like maybe only once or twice a year! Another food blog I follow, see here, makes a lot of homemade bread (she's where I got the yummy Pretzel Bread). Kathleen now sells her homemade creations and every time I see picture of those delightful carbs I cannot stop thinking about them and craving fresh homemade bread!!

I love focaccia bread so this mozzarella and tomato bread was on the top of my list. I think it looks like a pizza but it's so much more hearty and filling! This is perfect for winter time and will go great with some warm winter soup.



Mozzarella and Tomato Focaccia Bread
(adapted from Allrecipes.com)

  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
  • 1 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
  • 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Topping
  • 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
  • 1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 2 small-medium tomato
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. Dissolve honey in the warm water in a large bowl, then sprinkle yeast over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and begins to foam. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, and 5 cups of flour until the dough comes together. Knead on a well floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 415 degrees F 
  3. Place dough onto oiled 9x13in baking pan, and flatten to cover the whole pan evenly. Use the tips of your fingers to make indentations all over the dough spaced about 1 inch apart. Drizzle the focaccia with 3 tablespoons olive oil, then sprinkle rosemary, basil's, Parmesan cheese, tomato, mozzarella cheese, and remaining 1 tablespoon of kosher salt over the top. Let rise for 10 minutes
  4. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. This is really spectacular. I am brand new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete