Saturday, September 10, 2011

Star Wars and Hawkeyes

You might not think they have anything in common but a 7 year old boy would tell you different. Our friend Annette's son is turning 7 this weekend and having an Iowa Hawkeye themed birthday party. Although his mother thought he would want an Iowa cake and cupcakes for his party when she first asked me, turns out Linkin's final request was a Star Wars cake with Hawkeye cupcakes instead. Love it! The birthday boy gets what the birthday boy wants!

Dave was pretty excited about this cake (as he is about most character cakes I make). He made sure he asked Linkin who he would want most from Star Wars and he stated Chewbacca. I tried looking for ideas on-line but most of the Chewy cakes just looked like big blobs of chocolate frosting. I did find one good cake for my inspiration and think I came pretty close to getting it.

I used a Lemon cake (per request) in a 9x13-inch cake pan. Once cooled I rounded the top for Chewbacca's head and used those cake scraps to build up a little dimension around his eyes, nose and mouth so he wasn't so flat looking. I used a Lemon Cream Cheese frosting that I tinted and used left over marshmallow fondant pieces for the eyes and teeth. I drew the eyes on with edible marker.

May the force be with you Linkin! Happy 7th Birthday!


The Birthday Boy


1 comment:

  1. You rocked that cake and cupcakes!!! The Birthday Boy was very pleased! :)

    ReplyDelete