Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Squash Fries?!?

Yup, that's right butternut squash french fries! I never would have thought to use butternut squash for a fry. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and thought I'd give it a try. While they were baking, the house smelled amazing! For not being a huge fan of squash, these were pretty good. I think I might try actually frying them next time instead of baking to see if they taste more like fries. Sorry no pictures, I forgot!!!!

Butternut Squash Fries
Ingredients

  • 1 (2 pound) butternut squash, halved and seeded
  • kosher salt
  • pepper
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg, small amount
  • olive oil

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away the peel from the squash. Cut the squash into sticks like French fries. Place squash in a plastic bag and combine salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and oil, shake until evenly coated. I only used half a squash and didn't really use any measurement, I just sprinkled however much I thought would taste good. Arrange squash pieces on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes (I baked mine for 30-40 minutes) in the preheated oven, turning the fries over halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and become crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment