Monday, November 1, 2010

My First Cake!

I made my first cake over the weekend!! And yes someone actually hired me can you believe it! My co-worker Sara asked me, or more like informed me months ago I would be making her daughter's birthday cake. I thought she was kidding because it was when my obssession with cupcakes began, however she was not!! Her daughter Avery's birthday is on Halloween, how awesome is that for a kid, so of course of all cakes for her birthday, she wanted a Haunted House Birthday Cake. I thought this was a tall order for being my first cake and a lot of pressure, but Sara reassured me it was for a 5-year old's birthday so she would think it's the coolest no matter how it turned out. She had all the faith in me!!

Luck for me I found a stand-up house cake pan by Wilton from Michael's Crafts which I used for the house and a 13x9 pan for the graveyard. I baked this white cake recipe (which I had to triple), with a buttercream frosting (gel colors included brown, black, purple, orange and green).


Coming all together
I put a couple Oreos in a food processor for the dirt walkway, black sprinkles on top of the roof, Milano cookies for the gravestones, and white chocolate pumpkins tinted orange around the house I made from a mold (those were add-ons at the last minute and not pictured).

Still need to work on my writing, it's hard! It doesn't help that I have child-like handwriting anyway! :)



The birthday girl asked for a flying witch, I made a few attempts at a witch on the roof but it was an epic failure so I opted for a witch in the window in the back of the house.

I hope to post a picture of the birthday girl with her cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment