Saturday, March 19, 2011

Reubens!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This was the first time I've ever made anything special for St. Patty's Day. I've never been huge on the whole corned beef/cabbage/sauerkraut thing but I saw a picture for this Reuben recipe and my mouth was watering and thought this would be a great time to be open minded about try this recipe. Yup that's right, I may like to try new things but there are some things I have a hard time being open minded about, such as sauerkraut. There's just something about it that makes me wrinkle my nose up at the site of it (and I'm even doing it as I write about it too!).

But I have to say this slow cooked sandwich was pretty darn delicious. The corned beef was so juicy and flavorful and the Swiss cheese is a perfect compliment. I just wished I would have used a thicker rye bread because that sauerkraut can sure make the bread soggy. Here's a tip when putting your sandwich together, don't but the sauerkraut on the bottom! Put it on top of everything so the juice has to make its way thru the corned beef, cheese and dressing barrier before finding the bottom piece of bread that will soak it up!





Slow Cooker Reuben Sandwiches
  • 1 package (2 pounds) refrigerated sauerkraut
  • 1 package (2 to 3 pounds) corned beef brisket
  • 1 cup Thousand Island dressing
  • 16 slices pumpernickel rye bread, toasted
  • 8 slices (1 ounce each) Swiss cheese
Directions:


  1. Place sauerkraut in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Place beef brisket on sauerkraut. (If brisket includes packet of spices, sprinkle spices over brisket.)
  2. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 9 to 11 hours.
  3. Remove beef from cooker; place on cutting board. Cut beef into slices. To serve, spread 1 tablespoon dressing on each toast slice. Using slotted spoon to remove sauerkraut from cooker, top 8 slices toast with 1/2 cup sauerkraut each. Top sauerkraut with beef slices and cheese slice. Top with remaining toast.




Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment