Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Valentines Brunch

Looking for the perfect Valentines Brunch to make for your special someone?

Look no further because I found it! I don't remember where I found this recipe last year (I think from Food Network) but I made these little pieces of heaven last Valentines Day. I wasn't a huge fan of crepes prior to this but made it because my husband loves them and I've yet to come across anything that includes chocolate and fruit that I don't like. The chocolate crepes paired with the sweet filling and fruity sauce made me fall in love them! I swear this was the best breakfast I've ever made, swear :)

If making this for just 2 I would recommend halving the recipe as I learned it makes a lot!


Chocolate Crepes with Fresh Strawberries

Makes about 14-16 crepes


For Crepes:

  • 1 1/2 cups four
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 6 Tbsp confectioner' sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a large size mixing bowl, combine butter, milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil and whisk until blended. Add the dry mixture a little at a time to the liquid mixture, whisking until smooth. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. When pan is hot spray with oil, remove from hear and pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Swirl the pan around to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the pan. Return the pan to the heat and cook until lightly golden, 30-40 seconds. Turn the crepe over and cook the other side for about 15 seconds. Remove from pan. Repeat the process until all the batter is used.

For Filling:

  • 1 pkg cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup pureed fresh strawberries
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in sour cream, sugar, strawberries, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Put 2-3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the crepe. Fold the bottom of the crepe up over the filling and then fold in both sides. Place onto a plate and drizzle with sauce.

For Sauce:

  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups berried chopped (I pureed fruit for the sauce also)

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the sugar and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add the berries and continue cooking for about 1 minute. Drizzle sauce over crepes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment