Friday, July 13, 2012

Freeze Ahead Breakfast

With the impending arrival of our little man fast approaching, I have been wanting to make a few different Make Ahead Meals to put in the freezer for after his arrival.

I must admit these last 8+ months I have gotten pretty lazy with cooking AND blogging about all my baking adventures...as my blog has reflected. I still have several baking posts to finish....eventually, maybe while I'm on maternity leave?! I'm assuming I will be even more lazy, or at least just won't have the time nor energy to make dinner once Baby Dexter is here, especially since I (fingers crossed) hope to exclusively breastfeed his first few months at least. 

Last weekend was a HUGE cooking weekend for me!! Aside from baking my last cake until the Fall, I did all my grocery shopping to prepare for my cooking event one day, poached my chickens and made homemade chicken broth another day, and prepared about 7 different meals on two other days.

Over the next week I will post several posts about the meals I made along with a few tips.      

Let's start with the most important meal of the day, breakfast!

I'm usually pretty boring when it comes to making myself breakfast, I usually stick to boring cereal, toast, or a bagel with cream cheese. Breakfast for dinner is a totally different story though and for an entirely different post, it's our favorite! When thinking about having a newborn around soon and not having a lot of time for breakfast in the mornings, I wanted to make sure I have the option of having something I can grab pretty quickly and make with little effort. I love me a McDonald's Egg McMuffin but am pretty sure I want to be leaving the house every morning with a little in tow to get one, plus all that added sodium and fat...we don't need. I decided to make my own breakfast burritos and sandwiches! These are quick, easy, filling, fairly inexpensive (compared to going to McD's every day), and I can control how much sodium is added to them.  
Ingredients:
·         1 lb. Pork Sausage
·         1 Pkg. Hash browns
·         8 to 12 Large eggs
·         1/4 cup milk
·         1 pkg. shredded cheese
·         salt and pepper to taste
·         1 to 2 pkg. flour tortillas

1. Brown sausage - drain on a paper towel.


2. Cook hash browns in the same pan.
3. While the hash browns are cooking - In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

4. Add browned sausage back to the pan with the cooked hash browns.

5. Add the eggs to the sausage mixture and cook until the eggs are done, stirring gently.

6. After eggs are done - lay a tortilla on counter. Place egg mixture on tortilla. Top with cheese. Roll into a burrito.

7. Depending on how many eggs you use and how large you make each burrito, will determine how many burritos you will end up with. I used ten eggs which made me twenty-five burritos.

8. Wrap each burritos in Saran wrap.  Then place the wrapped burritos in freezer zip-lock bags.
From Freezer: Take the number of burritos you want out of the freezer, unwrap Saran wrap and place burritos in a paper towel. Warm for 45 seconds, rotate, warm for an additional 30 seconds. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or plain.

Breakfast Sandwiches

Ingredients 
  • 12  English muffins 
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 12 slices of cheese
  • 1/2 pound of bacon

1. Start by cooking the bacon. I used turkey bacon because I love it more than regular bacon but either will work. I cooked my bacon in the oven on 350 degrees for 15 minutes until lightly browned, this is the best way to cook regular bacon so it won't curl up like it will in the microwave or in a skillet.


2. While the bacon cook, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. Cook in large skillet over medium heat until scrabled.   
3. Once everything had finished cooking and slightly cooled, assemble the sandwiches. Break English muffins apart and put a spoonful of eggs, one slice of bacon (I split mine in halves to fit), and one slice of cheese on each muffin.


4. Wrap each sandwich in Saran wrap and place them in a gallon Ziploc bag. Then they are ready for the freezer.

From Freezer: Unwrap sandwich from saran wrap, place in paper towel and heat in microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes.  
 
Sausage Breakfast Burritos

No comments:

Post a Comment