Monday, June 6, 2011

Baseball Glove Cake

This week I finally got to make my first boy birthday cake! Jamie had asked me a few weeks ago if I had ever made any cakes for boys and that she wanted a baseball themed cake for her son Peyton's 1st birthday. Although I had yet to make a boys cake, I as definitely up for the task. She ended up wanting a baseball glove cake and after debating how to carve a glove out a cake, I found a baseball mitt cake pan at Hobby Lobby, score! I only buy cake pans I know I'll use more than once and this one I know I will be.

I used two cake batters, one for the baseball glove and the other I divided into a 6-inch round cake pan for the smash cake and two 8-inch square pans for the baseball base. All three cakes are a white cake with white buttercream frosting and the two larger cakes are covered with marshmallow fondant.

Happy 1st Birthday Peyton!

Baseball glove and base cake

Baseball Smash cake


White Cake

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour*
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temp
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

*If you don't have self-rising flour you can you only all-purpose flour and add 1 tsp baking powder.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a small bowl, combine the flours and set aside.
In a larger bowl cream butter with electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Add sugar then add eggs one at a time until combined. Alternate adding 1/3 of the flour then 1/2 of the milk until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla.
Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from center.

Best Buttercream
2 cups shortening
8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
6 oz heavy cream

Cream shortening in electric mixer. Add sugar one cup at a time. Add salt, vanilla and cream, mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes

I usually only use butter in my buttercream but this is truly a really good buttercream recipe that I'll use for special cakes and occasions.

1 comment: